St Michael's Roman Catholic Church, Linlithgow
53 Blackness Road, Linlithgow. Telephone: +44(0)1506 842145

Choir & Cantors Group

For getting involved with Choir & Cantors Group contact Evelyn Stell by email at evelyn.stell@forthinpraise.co.uk

Church Choir

Latest update:

St Michael’s is currently training a batch of new organists. As well as individual tuition, general meetings with trainees as a group are being held every few weeks, the next one being on Saturday 24 October 2015 at 11.30 in the church. Organists from other parishes would be welcome to come along to these get-togethers. Admission and course materials free, and some easy hymn settings and other music will be available to purchase.

Click here for more inormation

 

The Organ of St Michael’s RC Church, Linlithgow:St Michaels

The organ in the gallery at the west end of St Michael’s Church was built in 1874 by William Hill & Son of London, one of the famous organ-building firms of the Victorian era. This organ was originally built for the Old West Kirk on the Esplanade in Greenock, and it remained there until its purchase by Father Ferrari and its removal to Linlithgow in 1987. The money for the rebuild was quickly raised and the restored organ was completed by the Glasgow organ-builder Michael Macdonald in time for the Confirmation visit of Archbishop O’Brien in April 1989.

As well as enhancing church services, the quality of the organ in its present location has attracted wide attention. Although it is not a large instrument, its richness of tone and responsiveness to the church acoustic create a very special sound. 

Specification:

GREAT Open diapason
Gamba
Stopped diapason
Principal
Fifteenth
Wald flute
8ft
8ft
8ft
4ft
2ft
4ft
SWELL Open diapason
Stopped diapason
Principal
Fifteenth
Oboe
8ft
8ft
4ft
2ft
8ft
PEDAL Bourdon 16ft
COUPLERS Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
 

 

References:

Document titled "The Organ of St Michael’s RC Church, Linlithgow" by Evelyn Stell

Drawing of organ by Ross Sweetland